Thursday 11 October 2012

1 October 2012 - More Antipodeans

Well I had a lovely little surprise and treat recently dear readers.  Thanks to the wonder of social media I discovered two dear friends were about to hop on a jet to Europe.  Then it transpired that they were to arrive into Zurich after leaving Brisvegas before heading on to London town.  Yes, the lovely Warren Baker and Paul Cross were on their way.

After their arduous journey in something called "Economy Class" we met at about lunchtime at the very glamorous Zurich Hauptbahnhof (aka - the train station) where we then proceeded down to Sprungli for a welcome glass of champagne and a spot of lunch (see left). 

After this it was time to explore the cobbles streets of Zurich and catch up on the general goings on in each others lives, so after about 10 minutes it was just staring into space and wondering what to do next.  Of course this was not the case....we boys can chat and gossip for hours!

After all of that walking and talking we had a cleansing beverage at a bar we stumbled across call Haus Hiltl.  It seemed to be a groovy enough sort of a place and had a restaurant upstairs. 

S was heading into town after his busy working day peddling his wares and so it was left to me to find a restaurant.  As my gastronomic knowledge of Zurich is, well, nil, I took a punt and booked a table here. I then looked around at all the fairly thin people and thought I had best see what this place was about.  A quick look at their website revealed their cuisine to be VEGETARIAN! This is not what I would usually book but it did get some good reviews so I threw caution to the wind and took a chance.  Just look at the surprise on the boys' faces.....

Well, we were not disappointed!  It was actually pretty good.  I do wonder if part of this was due to some of the food being deep fried and heavily spiced.  I would have thought some of the food should look more like vegetables but it was all eaten.  So here is a sample of what we had:



Off to the left is the vegetable tartare (should vegetarian food look like meat????) and jalapenos stuffed with cheese.

Off to the right is some crispy tofu.

Main course (of which I forgot to take photos) was a selection of Indian delights and a Cordon Bleu made of tofu.

I would definitely go back and try a few more things on the menu.  The place was full and also offers a vegetarian buffet which you pay for by weight (the food of course and not your weight!).

No comments:

Post a Comment