Thursday 31 January 2013

7 - 14 January 2013 - Reality sets in

So, we are back from down under, suffering the usual post holiday blues - yes, even those not working can suffer those!  Attacked the Mt Everest pile of washing, caught up on all sorts of little admins and then reality sets in.....

I had always said that I would take six months off and somehow that has disappeared and there is no fun in negative cash flow.  So January is here and it is time to start the job hunt.  Where to even begin!  Well I already had my LinkedIn profile and I also set up a Xing profile (the German version on the recommendation of S).  So I have been online sending off applications like there is no tomorrow.

Obviously my lack of fluent German is an issue, even if I had started the course some months ago, fluent I would not be.  As an aside I start my intensive course on Monday - five days a week for four weeks from 8:30 am for three hours.  Means a very early start from sunny Einsiedeln to get into Zurich by 8:15 am!  Ouch - this will be a shock to the system.

Not really had many bites or even an interview.  This could get a bit soul destroying!  I have now a meeting with Michael Page - a start and have had some hints on how to set out my CV.  Different to Oz.....they like a photo and your age in it.

So what have I been doing in between applying for roles.  Best explained by way of pictures:




I have continued to explore and walk the town.  We have had a lot of snow and Einsiedeln looks very beautiful.

I found these guys and finally worked out where frozen chickens come from!




Loving the snow.



















So pretty and pretty nippy.  Sometimes it is so quiet I wonder if there has been some sort of world catastrophe that everyone else knows about but me!  A bit morbid...clearly too much time on my hands.




This is my new horse friend...bit of a close up but I think I had just sneaked him a carrot so he was more a bit more affectionate!



This was a Christmas gift from Mum and Dad - a 3-D jigsaw of Paris.  It was a lot of fun to build.  You start with a base map, then the upper map and finally the buildings and the bridges.  Cool and geeky at the same time or so I keep telling myself!
Cold Sunday afternoons leave Rodney with itchy fingers.  So what better way to keep himself entertained than with Lego! And it is a plane too. 
I also have Lego architecture sets of the Guggenheim and Rockefeller Centre - happy me.

We had an afternoon in Bern as S had to renew his passport.  Those Germans are sticklers and you need to have an interview at the local Embassy - he passed!

We saw a fun van on the way there.

We enjoyed the cobblestone streets.


And took in the sights - this is parliament house Swiss style for the Confederation Helvetica - in case you were wondering this is where the "CH" comes from on the stickers on cars.  We all want it to stand for chocolate or cheese but sadly it is something a little more dull.
 
 
 A bit random but another gift from Mum and Dad which I
 had to share.  It is a game of solitaire where the pieces are cows! How neat is that?
 
 
 
The Australian Swiss Chamber of Commerce and Industry had an Australia Day function on 24 January at the Renaissance Hotel in Zurich.  The Chef there is Australian and as such the food had an Aussie lean to it.  It was very cool to see that one couple brought their kelpie (Daisy) resplendent in a Driz-a-bone, flags and Fosters.  It was a fun night and I met some great people including the Honary Consul for Australia who is actually Swiss......yeah I can't work it out either.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next entry will be on my recent trip to Holland to catch up with Ma and Pa, the Dutch relatives and my Uncle's 70th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment