Wednesday 24 April 2013

24 April 2013 - To the moon and back

I understand there has been a hole in your lives whilst I was in hiatus.  Fear not, I am back from another astral plain and ready to share my insights, opinions, quips, and of course endless photos of planes.  That would be a hole you did not know needed filling.

I know I have been silent for some weeks and mostly this was due to my German classes.  I was heading into the big smoke (Zurich) every morning at 7:30 am on the choo choo.  I got to see the same faces with their morning rituals.  Some were a joy to see every day, others, like the woman who believed that having the key stroke noise turned on on her iPhone, were less than good.  Yes, I wanted to rip that phone out of her hands and change the settings.  But I was Strong (strong), invincible (invincible), I am......

Anyway the classes were great and I made some new friends.  We did manage to get one teacher sacked.  I would like to say it was for some inscrutable deed but it was merely incompetence.  We then had the most wonderful teacher (and slightly scary Frau) called Regula (named after her addiction to fibre).  We learned a lot and improved no end.  Then it was time for teacher number three and she was not as good.  We had students come and go, we learned dative, passive and nominative tenses - sounds sexy??  Grrrr....those crazy Germans and their conjugations.  I have progressed a lot and love talking about dogs, cats and flowers.  Actually I can do quite a bit better than that and have received some lovely compliments on my German accent - I graciously say "danke" and blush and occasionally titter.

In between all of this we have managed to continue to eat well, do a bit of travel, watch the change of the seasons and even take some special flights.  I bet you can't wait to hear all about it.

As there is so much to share I feel I may have to take the Readers' Digest approach and condense it.  Well as much as I can reduce my diatribe....I shall tribe.....the wit has not gone (boom, tisch)!

So, it's time to play the music, it's time to give highlights, it's time to meet the stories of the Rodney Show delights......

Berlin Trip

S had some work stuff to attend to in Berlin so we hopped over for a weekend getaway as well.  Had a lovely stay at the Waldorf Astoria which had just opened and ate at their fine dining restaurant.  We also managed to go to the Berlin Zoo which was just across the street!  Lovely weekend and we also caught up with Angela and Thomas.




















Istanbul

Work also took busy worker bee S off to sunny Bangladesh and as he flew through Istanbul it was suggested (by moi) that we meet there on his return.  I had never been before and heard such wonderful things.   This meant I got into travel mode and spent time looking at hotels and flight options....could I get a new model plane?!?!?  Oh and I believe there is some cool stuff to see in Istanbul.

We settled on flights with SWISS and the Ritz Carlton.  Both were excellent and the $200 upcharge to go Business Class was quite good value, even with what is essentially an economy seat!

The hotel staff were incredible and nothing was too much trouble.  They addressed us by name, remembered our drink preferences (just having the glass not empty is a good start for me).  We had a room which overlooked the Bosphorous River.  Only hiccough was during my first night (I arrived before S) was there was what seemed like a cyclone passing through which caused all the windows to rattle.  I know, I sound like a big baby but once one of them blew open (these windows were sealed) then things changed!!  The night team zoomed into action and asked me to leave my room for safety.  I was quickly relocated and no lives were lost.  Poor S was confused as to why I had moved rooms and why I was dressed when he arrived at 5:00 am. 




Sadly the weather was not on our side and it continued to be cold and wet.  I was naive to think that Istanbul did not really have a winter.  We organised a walking tour with a guide and proceeded to visit the local mosques, temples and markets.  Not great touring weather but the troupers that we are we soldiered on.....





We also partook in a traditional Hamam which essentially is laying on a marble tablet and being washed in very soapy fragrant water.  It was quite relaxing and another experience to add to the belt.  I am sure that for the two local girls who performed the act of washing it will live on in their memories forever....no photos from this event!

Food Festival

As I mentioned we have continued to eat well both out of the house and with my MasterChef cooking skills in the house...there have been a couple of duds as well!

We entertained some friends (Felix the GM of QF Switzerland and his girlfriend Marion) and I made a pavlova from Mummy's recipe.  Never done it before and it was a reasonable success.  Some people even had two slices!
Whilst in Turkey we bought some caviar....I keep calling it faux-viar as I was not sure of its authenticity.  Anyway, I made blinis from scratch and it was enjoyed with a Salon S champagne. 

Funny think about this champagne is that it is only produced in limited quantities and the "S" on the bottle looks like the "S" from Shrek.  I am sure that is not how they wanted it associated and that we refer to it now as Shrek champagne.



Random plate shot from the restaurant in the Waldorf Astoria in Berlin.
Gotta love a home made Aussie meat pie.  This one was had half way between Hobart and Cradle Mountain.  It was very good.
Not food exactly,  but men filled with food.  It is the three judges from MasterChef in the lounge in Melbourne.  Obviously they are not celebrity enough to get Chairman's Lounge!
Burgers and Bin 389 in our chalet in Cradle Mountain.  Can't go past an egg on a burger.  We had just had wallabies to eat, I mean visit so were wanting some meat.
Supper service on Qantas from Frankfurt to Singapore.  I have to say it was an excellent chicken schnitzel sandwich and a wonderful Shiraz to wash it down.
Dining Singapore Airlines style in their Suites on the A380 with some Krug to wash it down.
Back on the home front it is all health, health, health.  Homemade chicken schnitzel with chips and a tomato salad.  Went down a treat I can tell you!

Still undecided about this pasta creation.  The sauce was made with leftover cream cheese (I made my first cheese cake) and it was all a bit gluggy.  More practice needed.















My Friends

I have made a new friend from German School (Abby from the US and her husband Andri, a Swiss pilot).  We had them over for the afternoon and early evening to show Andri the town as he had not been.  We also enjoyed dinner at our favourite local eatery which serves a Swiss delicacy - Gugli - essentially fried chicken with a mustard sauce.  It is incredible good and a must for any visitor after you have had enough cheese and chocolate.

We also went up to the Cloister and visited my horse friend who I had not seen in a couple of weeks.  I think she was pleased to see me.....



Well, that is enough to titillate your senses for the day.  I have let you back in easy.  I have the Australian trip to write about, followed by a trip to the Champagne region and then the last flight by Qantas out of Frankfurt.

Your appetite is whetted enough, so keep your eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment