Monday 24 September 2012

18-19 September 2012 - If it's Tuesday it must be Paris

Momentary scare this morning gentle reader in that I had trouble logging into the blog.  Had I been hacked?  Was someone stealing my identity? Did this mean I had to start Swiss-batical II?  Luckily it was merely some user error caused after a Microsoft software update.  Phew!

So, back to my movements (travel and not bowel).  S had a work trip organised to Paris so I thought I would tag along.  He was off to visit a fabric fair (looking at looms, wefts, jacquards, satins, sequins, glomesh etc, etc to work out the latest trends and quality available).  Sadly I was not invited to that bit of the event....give me food and I wine I cry and I will be happy.  I sound like a nasty drag queen...that glomesh and sequins may come in handy afteral from the fair.

As S would be working all day I had to entertain myself....I believe Paris has some things to see.  I was able to manage to organise a couple of playmates to join me in the French sandbox in Pauline and Scott.  Pauline was a former colleagure of mine at my very short stint at a hotel chain based in Queensland. 




18 September 2012

Relatively early start to get to the aerodrome for that 9:00 turbo prop service (well, an A320) to Pareeee.  We made it in plenty of time and briefly enjoyed the Swiss lounge.  We then took our lovely exit row seats for the one hour journey to Charles de Gualle International Airport, Paris. 

On arrival we went our seperate ways, me to the train and the hotel and S off to see chambray and chintz.  Easy little journey on a very dirty train (Swiss trains are pristine, French trains are piscine!).

Was not able to check in but could store my bag and get access to the internet.  Got in touch with Pauline who was staying ten minutes away and off I set.  I was then to discover that Pauline and Scott had not been to Paris before which meant it was time to see as many trashy touristy sites as possible.  This seemed to suit them both and were generally content with a photo of or in front of said trashy tourist site.  I regailed them with a whole bunch of made up information which they absorbed and will share with their friends.

We set off with our first priority being lunch.  We found a little bistro and I impressed/shocked/bemused P&S with my French.  Time was marching on so we continued our walk (we had already seen Notre Dame, Sacre Couer (both in the distance) and the Seine) to le Tour Eiffel.

I had not been up close in a number of years and it is still pretty neat.  Glad they didn't tear it down after the World Exposition.

We also, by complete accident passed over the tunnel where the "Peoples' Princess" came to her untimely passing when her Mercedes slammed into a pillar.  Don't think this is an official memorial but it has no become one.



The walk continued along the Seine and along some typical Parisian streets to the Champs Elysees.  We ambled along here until we reached the Arc de Triomphe (another Kodak moment).  By then we had been walking for hours so it was time to head to the sewers and take the Metro back to the hotel.

We met Stephan at the hotel.  The poor thing did not realise I had checked in and he could have used the room.  Instead he was reading the paper at the bar across the road. 

We had a little rest and then it was time for dinner at Le Cinq at the George V, a Four Seasons Hotel.  This is a very grand dining room and proudly boasts two Michelin Stars.  We had the tasting menu which consisted of a number of courses of which I will share some with you below....


 
 





After all of this it was well and truly time to lie down and I may have groaned a little.

19 September 2012

Slow start to the morning as S and I needed some extra time to digest last night's dinner.  We then had a very light breakfast.  It was time for a little culture and I went with P&S off to the Musee D'Orsay after a beautiful walk to the Louvre (read photo op for P&S).

As there is no photo taking inside the museum I cannot share with you the range of Ken Done and Jenny Kee art they had on display - it is without peer.  The Rolf Harris wing is of course the crowning glory.  So you will just have to use your imagination.

It was then just a spot of lunch and then off to the airport for me (and S) and the Eurostar for P&S.  Was great catching up with P&S and being able to show off a beautiful European city.

No comments:

Post a Comment