Monday 6 August 2012

1 August 2012 - Swiss National Day

As Australians, we love a public holiday and the Swiss are a nation after our own hearts.  They seem to have more holidays than we do.  1 August is the Swiss National Day...not sure what it means but I am told that it started in WWII.  Who cares, we love a day off!

Actually, to be honest I think the Swiss are more patriotic that us Aussies and Americans.  I have never seen so many flags flying and so much red and white about the place.  Almost puts us to shame.

The day started off leisurely with a sleep in and general stuffing around...sounding Australian so far.

After catching up on domestic stuff (yawn!) and singing the Swiss National Anthem which goes for three hours (kidding) it was time for a ride in the country and a picnic.  I would like to point out that this was my suggestion in case anyone thought I was not romantic....the setting around screams romance!!

We headed off on our deadly tredlies (well, deadly fur mich) and tried to avoid any fields with scary cows (with bells).  A delightful spot was found and we unloaded the rucksacks, placed the blankets on the ground and well, frankly, began to eat and drink.  It was a melange of food and a wonderful Bruno Paillard champagne.  No blog is complete without a champagne!

Bruno in the field



No scary bell cows in sight












It was then a brief cycle back home.  As it started to get dark the Swiss get in their element and let off fireworks.  An interesting fact is that you can buy fireworks by the roadside.  Only territorians down under can do this!  I wish we had bought some but can I say we had the most wonderful display of competing explosions from our balcony. 

I was a world of oohs and aahs....just like a little Japanese school girl!


Yes, a short update, but so much more to come.  I am in London and have been to some Olympic events.  That means another flight and hotel description and a range of lounge hopping.  I am trying to not pay for a meal in London....like a First Class Soup Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment