Saturday 18 August 2012

13-14 August 2012 - Rodney George Clooney

I have been on the road again readers and literally this time.  No jets, no lounges, only convertible European cars, stunning scenery whizzing by and amazing hotels - oh, and some pretty amazing company as well.  As the Germans say, we are "living a big feet life"!

This week was the celebration of Stephan who had his birthday on Wednesday.  He had organised a little getaway to Lake Como in Italy staying at the Villa D'Este on the lake. 

Monday 13 August 2012

Stephan was winging his way back from the Orient on Emirates and to start the festivities I met our friend Stefan (note the "F" to differentiate from S) in Zurich for a coffee and truffle at Sprungli followed by grocery shopping for that night's feast.  It was supposed to be light but it was far from it.

Not sure how this happened by I elected to cook, could it be kindness, could it be I'm a control freak, was I forced into slavery or just just a marvellous chef that they begged me to cook.  I refrain from answering.

So after a starter of cheeses and smoked fish (I was slaving in the kitchen mind you) and a magnum of Billecart Rose it was time for the starter.  A simple melange of ravioli with olive oil and grated Parmesan.  This was then followed by veal with a porcini sauce, ratatouille (then I discover that S does not like capsicum - bugger) and smashed potatoes.  All washed down with a German Riesling.  So here is the evidence of my work....please note the Qantas apron as given to me by the lovely people at the lounge in London.

Me slaving away....others drinking....
Second course and more drinking
First course

After all of this there was no room for dessert but there was more room for another champagne, can't even remember what it was.  It was then off to bed for all as we had an early start the next day but not before I made my eaters help with the dishes - only fair I think.

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Let me start out by saying that these Germans love to drive.  If the destination is a long way away, more the better.  It can only be improved by a mixture of highways and small winding roads across mountains.  So these boys were in heaven.  The drive was scheduled to take about three hours and cover about 200 km.  So off we set at about 9:00 am for Italy via the Swiss Alps.  I will let the pictures do the talking as the scenery was amazing.  We went over the Gotthard Pass which is only open during summer and part of it is a cobblestone road...more slaves suffered....I hear their pain. 























It was then Buon giorno Italia as we raced across the border without a care in the world and the wind in our hair.  I was pleased to be back on straight roads again as I was feeling a little woozy after all the twists and turns.

We then reached the hotel Villa D'Este nestled on Lake Como (where they shot some of Star Wars Episode II), so it a like a geek Mecha....I thought of dressing as Luke Skywalker (or Darth Vader if Grumpy Rodney was about) for the occasion but decided against it...I will just channel the force instead. 

Our rooms were not yet ready so we headed to the pool bar for a snack and, yes a drink.  Driving is thirsty work and can only be quenched with a Pinot Grigio apparently.  What could I do but join in - call it peer pressure, alcoholism or just being social.  I already knew that the place was a bit on the pricey side and then I saw the menu of snacks....EUR 35 for a club sandwich - ouch! So our rooms were ready and we were told that we had received a triple upgrade to a Junior Suite - as you know I love "free" and "upgrade".  We were in the separate wing which was great as you were a little bit removed from the rest of the guests.  Again, words cannot describe this setting, or perhaps I just cannot be bothered......































The afternoon was spent settling in an exploring our environs.  I have to say that Lake Como is as beautiful as people say.  We had a little swim in the floating pool and I can tell you that the water was a real "willy shrinker", boy was it cold!!  Still, when in Rome....

On arriving back in the room after a little rest on the pool loungers we were greeted by a bottle of champagne from the General Manager for S's birthday - lovely and just what was needed after such a challenging afternoon...and we had to walk up some steps as well, it was exhausting. 


It was almost time for the next meal which we were having in the hotel at the Veranda Restaurant.  As is the European tradition any fancy schmanzy restaurant means you need to wear a jacket and a tie.  I find this a little annoying and discovered that you could wear jeans as long as you still complied with the rest of the dress requirement.  You know me, always wanting to challenge the establishment - have I convinced you....I bet not.  Still, I wore jeans and felt a secret win under the table with my illicit pantaloons.  Dinner was modern Italian all washed down with some delicious red and white wines.  Again, a picture tells a thousand words.

Entree of pasta with king crab



S contemplating why his glass is empty and not in denial about turning another year older








Main course of beef and a veal tartar with tarragon sauce


Happy Birthday to You!!











It was then off to bed to digest....oh my full tummy.  The next day was to be leisurely before driving off to our Alpine retreat....stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment