Sunday 12 August 2012

7-9 August 2012 - More Olympics, free meals and a puppet horse

Greetings faithful followers and how do we find ourselves on this Sunday morning - all back from church, the gym or breakfast?  Lovely to whatever is your poison.  I am looking over the mountains watching the paragliders soaring on the up drafts after my breakfast of home made poached eggs.  Not 100% sure about using balsamic vinegar in a first attempt....makes it very difficult to see if the eggs are cooked.  A reliable source (YouTube) indicated that three minutes was the key.  Well ,that seemed to work! 

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Enough about my ova and back to the games.  From the posts on FaceBook it seems that my coverage, though limited, is better than that of channel 9!!  For me it is day two and my second and last event being the men's diving.  These were my most expensive tickets and frankly I expected to be able to reach out and touch someone!  Not the case, I was some distance away from the platforms. I heard others around me muttering the same.  Oh well, it is all about just being part of it.  Still there was a big screen nearby which showed the replays.  I was comforted by the fact that the mother of one of the competitors was seated just two rows behind me.  If they cannot get better seats who can? 

Anyway it was great to watch and I have to say what they can do in a second and a half is incredible.  Sometimes all we want is a quick, painless entry with little splash.  All those twists and turns, an episode of Days of our Lives couldn't achieve that.  After watching the lithe young bodies twisting and turning I am greeted, on exiting the Aquatic Centre, the complete opposite of what the boys could eat, yes, a giant McDonald's!  Apparently it is a "pop up" restaurant and is the largest in the world and can serve something like 1,500 meals an hour!  I merely observed from afar and then got told to keep moving.  They don't like people standing still in the Olympic Park, must be to get everyone into the sporty feel!




















I had arranged to meet my friend Mark and his friend Scott (more Perth Aussies) to have some lunch at the Centurion Lounge (I still am refusing to pay for food).  A lovely afternoon was had enjoying the view and a couple of cheeky drinks. 

It was then time to head back into the big smoke and meet Stuart at the trusty Qantas Lounge.  I was very keen to go as was told there would be some Olympians there - not really my thing but the boys were excited.  We got there just in time for the opening of the champagne and arrival of Cathy Freeman and Jessica Simpson (that doesn't sound right, maybe it was Ferret or Fox) who won silver in the kayaking.  The boys were beside themselves and giggling like Japanese school girls wanting a photo....thankfully they were very obliging.  OK, I couldn't resist either!!


Mark and Scott (where are your hands....)


Cathy Freemen...
emu impression

It was then time to head off to another event (and more free food and drink) at the NBA Centre in Covent Garden.  I had got the tickets through Amex and was not sure what it entailed other than free food and drink, shallow yes, but practical!  Mark and Scott were heading off to the volleyball that night but as there was a famous ex-NBA player was going to be at the event Scott was keen to go. His name is Robert Horry - I am sure that will mean something to some of you.  There were also on display and willing to sign anything and smile for any camera the Celtics Cheerleaders.  We all had a go at being photographed....I think Stuart touched a boob by accident!!  The food was pretty average and was standard American fare (nachos, hot dogs, burgers etc).








Mark and Stuart headed off to their next Olympic event and Stuart and I remained for some haute cuisine (it wasn't even hot cuisine) and then met my good friend Damon at a local bar.  More drinks were had and was it was great to see Damon.

That was pretty much the night and it was very much filled with way too many drinks....

Wednesday 8 August 2012

So that meant waking up feeling a bit worse for wear but thankfully no headache.  I had limited obligations so I could have a little lie in.  Some breakfast had in the lounge and and then off to meet Stuart at Olympic Park as he had not been out there.  Luckily we were just in time for lunch and the girls at the Centurion Lounge were thrilled to see me again!

After absorbing a tonne of atmosphere we headed back to the city and the Qantas Lounge for more athletes. This time it was Mitchell Watt who won silver in the long jump.  Again, he was super friendly and was pretty cool to be able to congratulate an Olympian...he of course thought we were also very skilled in our respective fields and all deserved medals.  I want one just for getting up in the morning!!!  In case you are wondering we had no idea who the girl was...yes we are bad Aussies or was it that we were only interested in the one which won the medal.....or that he was cute....
After this it was time for more kulcha.  Stuart had arranged tickets to go and see War Horse The Musical.  I must admit that I had did not want to see it when it was a movie but heard amazing things about it was a play so was keen to go.  Stuart's parents were also going to be joining us but unfortunately Stuart's Mum sustained an injury in one of her Olympic events and they had to return to the Australian Institute of Sport for physio.  What it did mean is that the tickets were up for grabs and Mark and Scott kindly agreed to take them off Stuart's hands.  So off we went in a black cab to the New London Theatre.  The seats Stuart had arranged were fantastic, front and centre.

For any of you Melburnians I strongly recommend getting tickets for the show whilst it is in town.  It is one of the coolest and cleverest productions I have seen, and the story was pretty good too!  The skill of the puppeteers who controlled the horses was outstanding and the others actors interactions with them did make you forget they were puppets.  It was an outstanding show and I think a must see.


Thursday 9 August 2012

This was my last day in London and it was nice and low key.  I met Stuart for brunch in South Kensington (thanks for treating me Stuart....I was happy to pay and break my "free lunch" theme).  We then had a little cycle through the burrough which was lovely on a warm London afternoon.

Then it was back to the hotel for me to start my journey home.  I was whisked off to Terminal 5 at London's Heathrow to join the BA 720 on an Airbus A320 non-stop to Zurich.  I had a quick meal in the lounge as I knew the offerings on board would be minimal....another salad.  Still I could have a liquid dinner on board.

Arrived about 10:00 pm and then it was time to grab the choo-choo back to Einsiedeln.  By the time I got the right connections and walked in the door it was about midnight.

So that was my London and Olympic adventure.  Special thanks to Stuart, Mark and Scott for being excellent company and great fun!

Oh, and was able to add a couple more model planes for the shelving.....




No comments:

Post a Comment