Thursday 2 August 2012

27 June 2012 - Flight of Fancy on a New Jet

Oh gentle reader, 'tis only a few times in one's life that you get to experience the new and exciting.  Like all things the beauty of this definitely depends on the eye of the beholder.  So for me, the excitement of being able to try a new aircraft and new inflight products, puts me beside myself with excitement. 

A little backtracking is worthwhile I think (yes, I can hear you groaning).  When it was confirmed that I was heading Swiss-side, S and I started looking for side trips.  Lufthansa had just started flying the brand new 747-8i from Frankfurt to Washington.  So we did some investigating and found an excellent fare in Business Class.  S was able to use some points to upgrade us to First on the way over so I was one happy flyer!!  Also S had not been to Washington so this was an extra bonus.

So for those of you who do not wish to endure the long and detailed flight reviews there will be a separate post just on Washington.  That said I know you all crave these posts and it is what makes getting out of bed in the morning worthwhile. 

Our day started quite early and we piled into the Mercedes SLK, roof down and wind in our hair - well for me there is not movement from all the product.  S wore a sensible scarf or was it a cap, I cannot remember.  We arrived well in time at Zurich International Airport where we went to the exclusive First Class Check-in pod.  We were checked in quickly-ish for our little flight on Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then onwards to Washington.  It was then off to the Swiss First Lounge - a world of understatement and Lindt Chocolate.  Please note that there are finally people in these photos!


Of course no beginning of a journey is complete with out the obligatory champagne.  Luckily it is a drink that can be had any time of the day without guilt.  Soon enough it was time to head to our little Lufty A319 to take us to Frankfurt.  This flight only has a flying time of about 50 minutes.  Business Class in Europe is pretty scant.  The seats are economy seats with the centre seat kept empty and the food a little meagre, even on a longer flight.  So below are a couple of shots from the little jet.


In case you forget where you are.


Trying to forget....
My space? I will stick with FaceBook.




I reckon the big QF offers more in economy.









On arrival we took ourselves to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal (yes, it is a completely separate building surrounded by a force field of disinfectant for our protection from the masses - too right I hear you cry!). We clear security here and are looked after by a personal assistant.  Although a lovely idea, the lounge itself is like most others and was in true German understatement.  Of course to celebrate my first time here we enjoyed a couple of glasses of Tattinger Rose.  The other excitement for me was to score myself a much coveted rubber duck.  Odd I hear you say, yes, odd indeed.  What I did not know until I snaffled the first duck is that they make them in seasonal motifs and they are quite collectible.  This one as you will see below is an Olympic Duck, let's call him Ian Squawk!



Next it was time to head off to the jet.  No bridge for these travellers....we get driven to the jet in a luxury German car, a BMW 7 Series, a Mercedes S Class, a Porsche Cayenne or in our case a Mercedes people mover....big thumbs down. That said our driver took us the "long way" so we could see more of the airport and get some photos of the plane. Brace yourselves, jet photos ahead!



Like you it is with eager anticipation that we now get to enter this new beauty.  We were booked in First on this sector and there are only eight seats in the nose of the plane.  We had 1A and 1K - are there any other seats????  Again, more creams, browns, greys and beiges - I thought it looked great - S was not so happy with some of the stitching on the leather armrests - picky or what!  Sounds like something I would say!  The crew were very welcoming and it was then of course time for a welcoming champagne, a lovely Laurent Perrier.  I will let the pictures do some of the talking......




The entertainment system was one of the most complicated ones I had come across and a number of other guests were having issues with it.  Not helped by the fact that the crew kept saying that it was the first time on the aircraft!  One area you never think of until the need arises is the bathroom.  There is a picture above which shows the thinnest window shade ever - why did they bother!  there was not a great use of space and the hand towels were paper - where are my 1000 thread count cotton towels!!

Next event is lunch! The menu was fine and the entree was by far the highlight.  Lovey choice of wines too.  Again, my words can't do it justice and I think you all need a reprieve from them anyway.

Somebody getingt a full run down of the menu and receiving his eagerly awaited rose, a Lufthansa service signature.

 Set up for entree....mmmm....caviar




My main to the left and Stephan's to the right.




Average dessert and great chocolates


"Yes, one of everything please....."

Pretty shot of my rose through an empty glass, I am so artistic.









I had a bit of a wander around the plane to see what else was on offer.  I will only put in a couple of shots.




A tale of two cities!















There is only a little bit left to go (sighs of relief).  I had bought a magazine on the Lufthansa 747-8i and got the crew to sign it for me. I was pretty chuffed they did this for me.  I am such a geek!  After landing we also went up to the cockpit for a quick visit - very cool too.



So there you have it.  A long tale of the flight but worthwhile reading don't you think?  That question is rhetorical and does not require an answer.

After this we were met at the airport by our driver and whisked off to the Mandarin Oriental Washington DC.  Stay tuned...........

No comments:

Post a Comment