Sunday 5 August 2012

31 July 2012 - Zoomin' to Zurich

Two blogs in one day, does Rodney have too much time on his hands.  Then we all know what they say about about idle hands.  This will be another short and fast entry.  Please do not think that I am not interested in regaling my tales.  Some days are just busier than others.  I can always go on about nothing, that is almost my raison d'etre!

Stephan headed off early to Nuremberg for a high powered executive business meeting and I had a sleep in!  There was talk of me also going to Nuremberg but the airfare was CHF 1,400 which was a little steep for a 50 minute flight in economy!  Even I have my limits!

I had organised to catch up in Zurich with a friend of a friend (Vicki) who is an Australian in Zurich.  She found love with a German and ended up in Switzerland....someone is copying me!!!!  She also is involved with the Swiss Australian Chamber of Commerce. 

I did still manage to get in a great cycle and did not fall off this time.  I should point out that the gravity issues I am facing relate to the little shoe holders on the pedals.  Sometimes my feet do not get out fast enough and then pesky gravity takes over.

I then took myself off to the train station to head into the big smoke.  Can I just say that you can set your watch by Swiss trains...talk about punctual. 
























After navigating my way through the Hauptbanhoff I walked to Sprungli Cafe to meet Vicki.  Sprungli is the other half of Lindt (have a look on the back of the packet before you devour it).  They make beautiful confectionery and very average coffee!  We had a lovely catch up and she is very well connected in the business community.  This will be great when I am sent back to the coal mines.  Somehow this blogging caper won't pay the rent....wish it would...I could be a happy tortured artist.

After Vicki and I parted I took myself on a lovely walking tour of Zurich.  I bought some fabulous new shoes (on sale) from Bally and found the local Aesop store (hoorah - a little piece of home to lather myself in).


Swiss style

Aussie style
















I also took in some of the scenery and aimless wandered the small cobble stoned streets.  It was a wonderfully warm and clear day.






















It was then time for another choo-choo to meet Stephan at the airport.  We then headed to dinner at a Swiss Restaurant (Echo) at the Marriott Hotel.  Our first option was Thai but as it was the Swiss National Day the next day we thought why not Swiss.  The food was wonderfully traditional (and I forgot to take photos) and the wine was free flowing, all for CHF 69 - that is virtually the cost of a McDonald's Happy Meal in Zurich!





No comments:

Post a Comment