Saturday 11 August 2012

5-6 August 2012 - Olympic odyssey and how not to pay for a meal

Toodlepid my dear readers and greetings from London town...well I am actually back home now but just imagine I am still there.  Before leaving the Antipodes Stephan informed me that he had a work trip to Asia in August for about a week.  At about the same time I discovered some friends from Australia were going to be in London whilst S was away.  So I seized the bull (with bells) by the horns and booked a little sojourn to the mother country.

It also happened to co-incide with a small sporting event that happens every four years! I had never been to an Olympics so jumped at the chance.  I was able to still get tickets and managed to snag two sessions, the mens' weightlifting and mens' 3.5 metre springboard diving.  I was keen to get tickets to the wrestling (yes, there was a theme to my ticket selection) but I suspect the local gents of a certain persuasion had beaten me to it!

So, after a lovely weekend of relaxation and a dinner party it was time to head off.  S was heading to Dubai and then Shanghai so I was bale to hitch a ride with his limousine transfer to Zurich International Airport.  After some messing around to check-in we were through and had time for a quick sparkling wine in the lounge.  It was then time for S and I to say farewell.  It was very odd being at the airport and not heading off to the same place together.  In fact it felt like old times where we would part from our midway destination to head to our respective homes.  Yes, I have tender and solemn moments now and then...I am not without heart, truly!

I hopped on board my little Airbus A319 and was seated in Club Europe (managed to upgrade for $100).  As you may know from experience or my previous air exploits European Business Class is pretty average and you would be lucky to consider it a premium economy.  Still, the crew was lovely and it was comfortable for a 90 minute flight.

Luxury leather and a salad.  No hot food on these flights!

It was then off to the hotel.  After some searching and surprise that I could get a room (note you had to pre-pay the entire cost of the stay and also it was non-cancelable!) I chose the Waldorf Hilton just off the Strand.  I was to discover over the next few days what a fantastic location this was.  I was hoping for an upgrade (due to my Hilton Status - you know my two favourite words are upgrade and free!!) but was not available to to the heavy Olympic bookings.  That said, the next day they were able to change my room to a King Executive.  I have to say, my original room, although refurbished was terribly small and not just me being fussy.  The hotel also had a great Executive Lounge with a great breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapes.

Original room on the left with camp blank and white print.

Lovely Executive Lounge













New room and bathroom

















Anyway, you are not reading this to see and hear about my hotel woes (which were in fact minimal) but to experience the greatest games on earth.  When I was in London in March this year I thought there was no way I would come to London for the Olympics.  Two reasons, firstly I did not expect my life to take the wonderful turn it has and also I did not think London would cope.  Well, London has done a sterling job and all my experiences saw it running like clockwork.  Well done!

So it is now Monday and after a light breakfast (not paid for) it is off to the Olympic Park to collect my tickets.  Not sure why I did not get them mailed, I think it was the GBP 9 fee!  I expected enormous queues but it was not too bad and everyone was calm, relaxed and friendly.  There was a terrific atmosphere in the air and I have to say the Brits really embraced the spirit then helped by their performance.

After collecting my tickets I went to find the American Express Centurion Lounge set up for cardholders.  Interesting move by Amex because as you know Visa is the only accepted payment card accepted at the Olympics.  Access was via a secure area and it had terrific views across the park as well as a light buffet (another free lunch) and drinks.  It was a nice retreat from the maddening crowds.  As you can see from below security was also pretty tight.  Not sure I was supposed to take this photo.




















First event for me was the men's weightlifting which was a train ride away at the Excel Centre which also hosted the table tennis, judo, wrestling.  Entry was also met with a full airport type security check.  I had pretty good seats and it was a fun sport to watch.  Before the event they provide an overview of the sport including scoring....very useful and well executed. 


Sorry for the dodgy photos but they are just off the trusty iPhone.  Everyone is ready to go!

This fellow is only 17 and didn't get it right the first time but the second time....how would you be lifting 175 kg!











Well, that was a hoot!  So it was then time for my next lounge, drink and free snack!  The good people at Qantas had set up a First Class Lounge at the Sofitel in central London for some of the frequent flyers....I was lucky enough to be invited.  I also met the lady who was running the show on the flight from MEL to SIN.  It was another lovely retreat with delicious Perrier Jouet champers and delightful Australian wines.  As you will see, this place would be visited over the next couple of days with some Olympic guests to meet.




















Well, I was pretty tuckered out after my big day out of lifting and lounging so it was back to the Waldorf for a much earned snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment